This loaded French toast makes for an indulgent and impressive brunch that explodes with yummy flavours.
2 cups (500 mL) blueberries
1/2 cup (125 mL) maple syrup
2 tbsp (30 mL) packed brown sugar
1 tbsp (15 mL) cider vinegar
1/3 cup (75 mL) dark rum
1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
1/2 cup (125 mL) milk
1/2 cup (125 mL) 35% whipping cream
1 tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar
1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
12 slices day old Ben’s® Holsum White Bread
1/2 cup (125 mL) butter
1. In small saucepan set over medium heat, cook blueberries, maple syrup, brown sugar and vinegar; bring to boil. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until brown sugar dissolves. Whisk together rum and cornstarch until smooth. Whisk into blueberry mixture; bring to boil. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly; keep warm.
2. In shallow dish, whisk together eggs, milk, cream, sugar, cinnamon and salt. Dip bread slices in egg mixture, allowing bread to absorb mixture well.
3. Heat 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter in large skillet set over medium heat; cook in batches for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden brown on both sides, wiping pan with paper towel between batches and adding remaining butter as needed. Keep warm in 250˚F (120˚C) oven.
4. Serve French toast with blueberry sauce.
• Substitute whiskey for rum if desired.
• Garnish with whipped cream if desired.