3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh thyme
3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
2 cups (500 mL) milk
1 cup (250 mL) 35% whipping cream
1 can (796 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 cups (500 mL) small broccoli florets
2 carrots, sliced diagonally
1/4 lb (125 g) green beans, trimmed
1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh chives
1/4 cup (60 mL) Dijon mustard
12 slices Ben’s® Holsum Wheat Bread, toasted
1. Melt butter in large skillet set over medium heat; cook onion, garlic and thyme for 3 to 5 minutes or until mixture starts to soften. Sprinkle with flour; cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring, until thickened. Slowly whisk in milk and cream until mixture comes to boil.
2. Stir in chickpeas, broccoli, carrots, green beans, salt and pepper; reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until veggies are just tender. Stir in chives.
3. Spread Dijon mustard over bread. Spoon chickpea mixture over top.
• Use a medley of veggies that you have on hand. Green peas, wax beans, zucchini, butternut squash, baby potatoes, turnips or sweet potatoes all work well.
• If desired, stir 1 tsp dry mustard into vegetable mixture; omit Dijon mustard.