4 slices day-old Ben’s Holsum Wheat Bread
2 oz (60 g) cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
1/2 tsp (2 mL) grated lemon zest
1/4 English cucumber
6 grape tomatoes, quartered
1/4 yellow pepper, cut into strips
1. Using 2-inch (5 cm) round cutter, cut out 8 rounds from bread slices (reserve bread scraps for another use).
2. In small bowl, stir together cream cheese, pepper, lemon zest and salt. Spread over bread rounds.
3. Cut two 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick rounds from cucumber; cut each round into quarters. Cut remaining cucumber into thin strips. Using toothpick, secure cucumber quarters to top of bread rounds to resemble Christmas ball ornaments.
4. Decorate bread rounds “ornaments,” with remaining cucumber strips, quartered grape tomatoes and yellow pepper strips.
• Alternatively, use holiday cookie cutters to cut bread into shapes.
• Cut remaining bread scraps into cubes to use for croutons, or pulse in food processor for fresh bread crumbs.